Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sacher Torte

Today's recipe is a real classic. The famous Sacher Cake. My sister loves this cake and wants to eat it every weekend. I love it too, but I am more of a fruit cake fan. This recipe is really old and I don't know from where I have it, but it is really really good. I have tried a million Sacher Cake's from the local stores, and believe me you don't want to know what some stores sell as a Sacher Cake. It should be illegal.



For the sponge:
150 grams butter
150 grams flour
150 grams sugar
150 grams chocolate (with 60% cocoa)
1 table spoon milk
1 tea spoon vanilla
2 tea spoons baking powder
6 eggs

For the filling:
5 generous table spoons apricot jam

For the glaze:
100 grams chocolate (with 60% cocoa)
100 grams butter


First, add milk and butter to the chocolate and melt it on a double boiler. Once melted, set aside to cool a bit. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and set aside. Add sugar to the chocolate butter mixture and mix well. Add the yolks and mix with a whisk or a electric mixer. Next add the vanilla.
In a separate bowl add the baking powder to the flour and slowly, with continuous mixing add to the chocolate mixture. Beat the egg whites until stiff and carefully blend the meringue to the batter. Now put the batter into a greased round baking pan and bake for 40 minutes on 180°C.
When baked, set aside to cool down completely, then cut the sponge in half. Heat the apricot jam in a small pan or in a microwave and spread it out on one half of the cake. Place the other half on top and spread the rest of the jam on top. Make the glaze by melting the chocolate together with butter over low heat. Pour it all over the cake and leave to set.

4 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest GFC follower from the “Pamela’s Heavenly Treats” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this cake! One of my absolute favorites, I really have to try making it at home too! Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! It is really easy to do it at home, plus it tastes better.

      Delete

I love reading your comments so feel free to leave one.
Thank you for stopping by The Cake Baby!