Saturday, October 25, 2014

Carob Cake Bars

One of my dearest friends gave me a package of Carob Powder for my birthday. At first I was overwhelmed because the only childhood memory of carob is somehow a blur, but also horrible. I just couldn't stand carob when I was a kid; the smell and the looks were awful. 
My birthday is in August and until this day I just couldn't find any good-looking recipe on the internet with carob powder as the main ingredient. Crazy, right? Do people resent carob powder as much as I did? Anyway, I called my grandma for advice and she gave me the following recipe. It included chocolate so I decided to give it a try. Guess what, I am hooked! The carob powder is not dominant in these bars, and I love that it has some fruity flavor because of the apple. Carob powder for the win.




You need:

2 cups milk
2 cups carob powder
2 cups sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup sunflower oil (or any other neutral oil)
4 eggs
1 apple, peeled and grated

For the chocolate ganache:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sunflower oil

Put all of the ingredients in your stand mixer and mix it up. You can also use a hand-mixer, if you wish. Pour the batter into a greased baking tin of your choice (the bigger the tin, the flatter your bars will be) and bake for 25 minutes on 190°C. Once baked, let cool and prepare the chocolate ganache meanwhile. 
For the world's easiest chocolate ganache just put the chocolate chips and oil in a small oven-proof dish and put it in the still hot oven. Leave it there for five minutes, then stir until smooth. Now pour the ganache over the bars. Leave to cool completely. 
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Maja jaz se bom kr k tebi enkrat povabla, ker vsaka stvar zgleda bolj dobra kot druga :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments so feel free to leave one.
Thank you for stopping by The Cake Baby!